The regional health authorities jointly announces a call for applications for funding of clinical multicentre studies with the aim of improving existing treatment procedures and / or developing / evaluating new ones. The total budget available for 2017 is approximately 130 million NOKs. Projects funded by this programme should include participation from all four health regions and user involvement.
The national programme for clinical therapy research, KLINBEFORSK, will contribute towards giving patients improved opportunities to participate in clinical trials and is a part of the implementation of the Norwegian government’s strategic action plan HelseOmsorg21. The call is open thematically to all clinical disciplines; however, it should focus on meeting the needs and close knowledge gaps that are of the greatest importance for patient treatment.
Deadline for applications is April 30th 2017 16:00. Applications to KLINBEFORSK must be submitted using the electronic platform – eSøknad.
General requirements for applications:
User involvement is mandatory for all applications to KLINBEFORSK. Recruitment of patients from all health regions should be facilitated, and the projects must include active, clinical research collaborations between hospitals or private, non-profit hospitals in all four health regions. The collaborations must comply with established regulations awarding co-authorships (Vancouver convention). Roles, tasks and responsibilities should be stated clearly for all researchers / research groups participating in the project, and the application should describe how a national collaboration will bring added value.
The projects should preferably make use of dedicated infrastructure, e.g. NorCRIN. It is assumed that the projects will use system resources (such as eCRF solutions) that meets relevant legal requirements. A project may be part of an international network/collaboration provided that the Norwegian branch of the project takes on a central role.
Projects may include collaborations with pharmaceutical industry, provided that the project is promoted by an applicant institution and meets the needs of the patient and the specialist health care service. Any contributions from industry should be described in detail in the project description and in the budget module.
Each project should be managed by one project manager/principal investigator only and affiliated with a single responsible institution. The participating institutions should set up a joint agreement regulating their contributions, privileges and responsibilities prior to the start of the project.
Funding will not be awarded more than once to any main project within one and the same project period.
Who may apply?
- Applications may be promoted by health institutions or private, non-profit hospitals that have access to funding from the regional health authorities (cfr. list of institutions). Other private institutions with access to regional funding cannot act as an applicant institution, but may participate in the projects as collaborating partners.
- The principal investigator (applicant) and main collaborating partners (at least one per region) should hold at least a 20% position at an applicant institution at the time of application and throughout the project period.
- Any individual principal investigator may only submit one application to KLINBEFORSK; however, he/she may contribute as a collaborating partner in several projects.
- A person over the age of 70 may not apply to KLINBEFORSK. If an applicant reaches this age during the project period, the applicant institution should submit a written statement describing how this will be handled.
What is funded?
- Projects supported by KLINBEFORSK may have a duration of up to five years. The budget range is 5-20 million NOKs for the entire project period. Budgets should be realistic and described in detail.
- Establishment of a national research network may be included as an integral part of the project.
- All additional costs arising from the implementation of the research project may be covered by the KLINBEFORSK grant, however, ordinary costs of treatment are assumed to be covered by the hospitals / institutions themselves.
Possible budget items:
- Academic positions: PhD – duration of 3 FTEs; postdoctor, researcher – duration of 1-4 FTEs. Positions may be taken as 50 or 100% employment during the project period.
- Support personnel, e.g. research coordinator
- Operating costs, including medication and materials
- Services purchased from research support units, including additional infrastructure costs for implementation of the projects (e.g. monitoring)
- Costs to cover user involvement
- Funding to cover an institution’s fixed expenses such as rent, electricity, cleaning, administrative support and so on, is not available.
Requirements for applications to KLINBEFORSK:
- The application and all attachments should be written in English.
- The project should be affiliated with and managed from an institution with access to funding (cfr. list of institutions).
- The project should have partners from at least one of the specified insitutions in all four health regions. Partners should be listed in the application form.
- Mandatory attachments:
- Project description, max. 10 pages (see template).
- CV and list of publications for the principal investigator and main collaborating partners from each of the three other regions (max. 5 pages for each participant).
Other attachment should not be included in the application and will not be evaluated. Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be rejected.
NB! Submitting applications with identical or very similar project descriptions is not permitted. If this is the case, these applications may be rejected.
Applications to KLINBEFORSK must be submitted using the regional health authorities’ joint electronic platform – eSøknad.
In case of any discrepancies between the Norwegian and English versions, the Norwegian version takes precedence.